Clippers to Face Over-Achieving Raptors This Afternoon

Fresh off a relatively easy win against the Golden State Warriors, who despite dropping their last two still boast the NBA’s best record, the Clippers today face the pretenders to the top spot in the embarrassingly bad NBA Eastern Conference, the Toronto Raptors. Toronto is coming off a bad loss against the Bulls, who with a rejuvenated Derrick Rose have won their last five and who will soon climb to the top of that moribund bunch of bad, bad teams. In fact, the Western Conferences’s Southwest Division, comprised of a grand total of five team boasts as many teams over .500 as the entire 15-team Eastern Conference.

Toronto has won nine of its last 12 games, including a six-game winning streak, but of those nine wins, not one of them was against a team that was at .500 or better. Conversely, over that last 12 games, the three match-ups against teams with winning records were all Raptors' losses. The last quarter of basketball played by Toronto had to be the most embarrassing quarter they've played this season, as they allowed the Bulls 49 points over those 12
icon
LA Clippers' Blake Griffin adidas Jersey $109.95 Sale Price - $74.99
minutes, with the Bulls making 14 of their last 17 shot attempts. In the long and storied history of the Raptors, who have never won an NBA title, they never before allowed as many points in a single quarter. Toronto will come into today’s game with a 7-2 mark against Western Conference teams, but only 3-2 against teams playing .500 or better.

The Clippers have been battling an overall team scoring slump, but that has not affected their team defense, which on Thursday held the Warriors to their lowest point total of the season, and their first sub-90 point total. The Warriors’ dynamic backcourt duo of Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, averaging 44.4 points per game between them, were held to a total of 29 on 11-of-30 shooting. Despite their own slow start hitting the basket, the Clippers won that game going away, with an 11-point margin in the fourth quarter, behind 12 fourth-quarter pints and a return to form from Jamal Crawford, who has been battling and attempting to play through the pain and restrictions of a burst bursa sac in his right elbow.

BannerFans.com
Toronto has their own "star" guard in journeyman Kyle Lowry, who in his eight seasons and now with his third NBA team, has suddenly learned how to play this game, and is actually being touted as an MVP candidate as he stands out among the barren NBA Eastern landscape. Lowry has averaged exactly 20 points per game this season, more than
a 50% increase over his lifetime 12 points per game average. Despite their record, looking over the names populating the Toronto roster, including front court starters center Jonas Valanciunas, power forward Amir Johnson, and small forward Terrence Ross, little fear is, or should be, evoked in Clippers’ fans.

Honestly, I just do not see how the Raptors have the record they do, or how they will stay close to the Clippers today.

This entry was posted in NBA and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Clippers to Face Over-Achieving Raptors This Afternoon

1. Angelo says:

you’re stupid. stop embarassing yourself.

• theHoundDawg says:

Funny. Very funny. Toronto played a good game today, but they are still over-achieving and are not close to being good enough to beat the Bulls or any of the top Western Conference teams in the post season.

2. Mike Drake says:

Good call Nostradamus. Go Raptors!

• theHoundDawg says:

What I said to the other guy.

And, like I discussed with someone a couple of weeks ago after the Lakers beat San Antonio, an inferior team will beat a much better team 10-15%, maybe 20% of the time. If the Clippers and Raptors played 10 times, the Clippers would win eight of ten. This was one of those other two.

• The Boss says:

You are a real dumbass. I can’t believe I actually took the time to read this stupid article. The clippers are the biggest joke of an NBA franchise so it doesn’t surprise me that you support them. The franchise has been around for a 40+ years and have only won 3 first round series. They suck. Your an idiot. Also, Kyle Lowry is a better player than Chris Paul. He is a better shooter, rebounder, defender the only thing that Chris Paul has on Lowry is his passing ability, if you don’t believe me re-watch today’s game or just check the stats Kyle Lowry killed that overated shit box. And hey retard, since when is playing on three NBA teams make you a journey man? Your stupidity amazes me. After the Raptors traded Rudy Gay last year the went 41-22 and had an above 500 record vs the west after starting out so slow. This year they are 23-7. Combined that is 64-29. Your shitty Clippers would never touch that in any conference. O and by the way if the Clippers would win 8 of any 10 versus the Raptors why were they down 110-93 at home with less than two minutes to go and all the Clippers starters playing? You sir, don’t deserve to talk about basketball and must suffer from some kind of mental disorder.

3. theDawgwhisper says:

Lol very funny article, Laughed throughout. Clearly you are type of people who make up stories in your head base on looking at team stats and names. Keep going though, I do like the fact you are owning your own ignorance base on your replies.

• theHoundDawg says:

You may want to take an English grammar lesson before you criticize someone again.

I’ve been watching pro basketball in Los Angeles since the Lakers moved here in 1960, and I’ve had UCLA season tickets since 1967 except for a few years in the 1970s and 80s. I probably have seen more games than you’ve had meals. I take a chance and make predictions BEFORE games, not say “I knew that” afterwards.

4. Carmelo says:

Games are not played on paper. Overachievers I don’t think so. Never underestimate an opponent or you are doomed to lose as you saw today. The Raptors play in a crapoy Easter Conference but that doesn’t mean they are crap. They should be beating teams .500 and below and they are. Now they beat the Clippers and all I hear is excuses. If the Clips should have won, they would have. DeRozan wasn’t even in the lineup so no excuses.

• theHoundDawg says:

I made no excuses. The Clippers played a lousy game and lost. I only said if they played 10 times, the Clippers should win eight of them. I still do not think the Raptors have a team that is good enough to contend for the championship.

• Scott says:

Neither do the Clippers and that is why the lost. These teams are closer than you think, and I saw nothing in LA that suggests they would win 5 of 10, let alone 8. Let’s not pretend this was close, the Clippers got beaten clean today. They let Toronto adjust defensively and never got rolling in the second half. You may have watched more games than some people eat meals, but I bet you have watched few Raptor games. Your article stinks of not having a clue what got Toronto to that record which is cool, you likely see few games. That’s right, Clippers got beat by 10 at home to a team without their all star guard.

• theHoundDawg says:

You are right, I do not see many Raptors games in Southern Cal, nor to I want to. When I want a laugh, I can watch the Lakers.

5. We the North says:

The Raptors beat the Clippers without their second best player (and on many nights their best player). They also handily won the paint battle and were even on the boards, with front-court players you deemed should “evoke no fear” in Clippers fans. Lol. Also, that average journeyman point guard manhandled your All-star point guard. The only thing I agree with you about is the fact that the Raptors aren’t championship contenders. But so what? When they were last in this position (coming off a surprise division title) they failed to build and augment their roster. So far this year, that does not seem to be repeating itself. In fact, I really sense a team building towards something greater over the next two/three years, especially with some of the assets they have (young players, expiring contracts, draft picks, etc.). You should really worry about the direction the Clippers are headed more than anything. One of the more idiotic posts I have read in a long time, and I’ve read my fair share.

6. theHoundDawg says:

The Boss: Your level of intelligence and education are showing. Good luck passing the fifth grade next year. Will that be your third try? Why don’t you lose the attitude and discuss facts and issues instead of using personal attacks, and you might also want to take a remedial English class and learn how to write without sooooo many errors of grammar and syntax. And by the way, the Clippers’ past is an embarrassment, but the days of Elgin Baylor running the team and Donald Sterling’s ownership are now long gone. New ownership and management know what they are doing and are in the process of building a solid basis for years of winning.

One game, as I have said, is meaningless. Check back at the end of the season. By then it will be clear that Lowry is a second-tier journeyman, having a hot streak. Chris Paul is one of the top three point guards in the NBA. Lowry will be a distant memory in five years.

We the North: I’ll take the Clippers’ roster over Toronto’s any day of the week. The Clippers have three of the game’s top 20 talents in Paul, Griffin and Jordan, and a solid top seven players. Their depth is their biggest question mark. The Raptors have a lot of good players, but NO ONE, not Lowry, not the trojan scum de rozan, who is close to being a star caliber player. They can dominate in the awful east, but as you admit, they are not contenders for anything more. The Clippers are much closer to that level.

7. The Boss says:

Just seen your response…You make me laugh you say discuss facts but then you write almost a paragraph talking about me personally and smartass you also have spelling errors in your writing. In all seriousness though, I have realized that there are certain people you just don’t argue with because no matter what you say they are always going to be hard headed and stick with what they say. So I end off with this, you are truly an idiot, you have no knowledge base, the clippers aren’t going to win a title with this core and finally please stop writing this sports blog that I accidentally came across on ESPN because your just making yourself look dumb.

P.S. DeAndre Jordan a top 20 player? Do you smoke crack?
    Lebron
    Kevin Love
    Joakim Noah
    Chris Paul
    Chris Bosh
    Blake Griffin
    Damian Lillard

Evidence that you are stupid. Btw the list is not in order and not the 20 best players in the NBA its just the names of 20 players that came to mind when I thought of players better than DeAndre Jordan

• theHoundDawg says:

I said what I said about you because all you could think of to write were stupid asinine remarks about me personally instead of discussing the issues.

When did I EVER say that the Clippers were going to win a title? I have never said that nor would I, as they clearly do not have the depth needed to do so. They only go seven deep in championship-caliber talent, and that will not cut it.

Your statements about DeAndre Jordan demonstrate YOUR abject lack of basketball knowledge, Jordan is basketball’s BEST rebounder and is leading the league by a wide margin, and he is a devastating defender, third in the league in blocks per game. He no longer makes immature fouls, and is NEVER in foul trouble. He is hitting 70% of his field goal attempts.

Of your top-20 list, there are several clearly less talented and less motivated to play consistent, winning ball, than Jordan. I saw basketball’s most over-rated player, the laughing man, Deee-Wight H do his best to destroy the Lakers, and I’ve seen Houston play much better without him; I would never trade Jordan for Howard. Other players on your list who are inferior to Jordan are the one-dimensional, “me-first, me-only, screw the team” Carmelo Anthony, the vastly over-rated Paul George, Joakim Noah. and the solid but not that great Chris Boch. John Wall is borderline top-20, but also not quite there. You have to see Jordan play game after game to appreciate how great he is, game. Even in today’s awful team performance, he had 20 rebounds, and that is the third time for 20 or more in his last seven games.

• theHoundDawg says:

Also, I DID NOT say that Jordan was one of the league’s top 20 players, What I said was that the Clippers had three of the league’s top 20 “Talents”, Paul, Griffin, and Jordan. That is a significant difference. As an example, there are less than 20 more talented players in the NBA than Shabazz Muhammad, but he is not one of the top 100 players. From the first day he stepped on an NBA court, Corey Maggette was one of the NBA’s 10 most talented players, but he was never one of the league’s best 100 players.

• Gary73 says:

Typical juvenile internet exaggerations on both sides. Come on guys, Chris Paul is a great player who may have passed his peak. Lowry is a tremendous talent who has matured later in his career than normal, but when given the opportunity over the past year has become one of the league’s best point guards, and a leader especially on the road and in the absence of Derozan. Only those who have followed raps would appreciate them, but stats back up their record. They have second most efficient offence, third in d, and best bench production. Will they prosper in playoffs? Who knows. The East may not be as bad as people claim. The Bulls are likely the best team if they stay healthy, and I like their chances against West opponents. Atlanta and Washington are much improved, and Cleveland has personel that could gel at the right time. Clips? I don’t like their depth compared with other West opponents, but if Doc can focus their D like in Warrior game, you never know.

8. keith says:

Wow wow wow. So much west coast Bias here it’s unbelievable. How many raptors games have you watched?? Not many because if you did you would see this “star journey man” has average 20,7,5 over the last 110 games. What a hot streak!!!! And has the eastern conferences best PER rating out of EVERYONEAnd Ross dropped 51 on you last year so how is he not a threat to you guys at all?? Deandre Jordan shoots like 40% from the ft line. If hes talented at all he makes at least 60. Hes not close to veing top 50 in talent with guys like gerald green out there. Hes a tall player who can dunk and grab boards. Thats it. Chris is a shell of his former self. Your future is looking dim with the talent surrounding Blake and cp with the lack of youth on your team. Before you say how much of a basketball fan you are and how you’re such a basketball genius, do me a favor and watch some basketball other than the clippers once in awhile and you’ll see there are other good teams out there. And raptors overrated? By who? They’re like #7 on every power remind list I’ve seen lately. Just face the facts the raptors are actually got at basketball because they play team basketball. The last time a superstar won a title by himself was never. Team basketball with good defense wins. Look at the superstar in NY he’s doing real well. Best of luck to the Clips but you sir need to study basketball more.

• keith says:

And before you kill me on my grammar, I’m just gonna go and blame it on your lack of having a mobile site because I can’t see half the stuff I type on my phone so auto correct changes things. Just got to poke my keyboard and pray.

9. unbiased NBA fan says:

The reason Raptors is still on top of the EC is because of the familiarity and teamwork they have, night in and night out everyday. You can’t measure teamwork and unselfish attitude through stats. I’m preety sure by the end of the season Raptors will be hovering around 3rd or 4th but that is a great accomplishment without a superstar player in their team (Knicks, Nets and Pelicans).